Inside the Brain of Bryn, there are many thoughts on CONNECTION.
Connecting is one of my passions. It conjures up thoughts of enjoyment, shared interests, laughter, interesting conversations -with me out in the world being authentic.
- When I am connecting, I am not struggling for the “right” words.
- When I am connecting I am not trying so hard to impress people that I’m not listening to them.
- When I am connecting, I am thinking about how I can help that person – through advice, people I know, ideas I have or simply witnessing an idea or experience they are having.
- When I am connecting, I am comfortable in my body and my clothes.
- When I am connecting, it is easy to plan that next get-together to collaborate.
- When I am connecting, I don’t need to TELL people about my business or my career ideas and shove a business card in their hand. Instead they are naturally curious about me and ASK to connect with me.
Ask questions. Set a goal to find out one new thing about someone and to share one thing about yourself.
To get started, practice on people you know well. Practice when the stakes do not feel very high. Practice just talking to neighbors, community members, colleagues at work, vendors or customers, family members and friends.
It is incredible how dialogue changes when you are asking questions and being yourself in the conversation.
Remember the feeling! You will bring it with you to your next seemingly high-pressured networking event and transform your experience!