Career Mobility for the Highly-Motivated Professionals
There is no such thing as “reinventing yourself”.
You bring YOU with you wherever you go.
All your hopes, accomplishments, priorities and every fabulously-flawed part of you. You can’t escape it.
Embrace YOU and from that place of strength determine the right next career mobility step. Think of your career trajectory as a free agency system. You aren’t tied to any person, organization or industry. It’s one big rotational program to build your body of work. The challenge is determining the next right move for your career and then telling that story- your story. How to weave all the pieces of your life, career and interests together to help hiring teams understand why you are the right candidate for that exciting position in an organization unfamiliar with your work. Why you are uniquely qualified to take on a special assignment or project in your current organization.
Our clients use their work as a form of self-expression and growth. They are highly-successful professionals who want to be exactly who they are- intellectually, emotionally, spiritually- as they integrate as many parts of their life and interests as possible into the work they do. The impact they make in the world. Sound familiar? You will often find yourself discussing things that might not seem to have anything to do with your career choices and yet they have EVERYTHING to do with your career choices. It is all connected.
Are you in a position where you know that your personal and professional network needs a boost and a little attention? Where the idea of self-promotion makes you incredibly anxious? Where the required job search activities feel daunting and unfocused?
Together, we will consider your transition through a multitude of lenses: recruiters, hiring managers, social recruiting enthusiasts, global human resources, colleagues, job search tool creators, people in your extended network and more. And all these conversations and collaborations will occur in a relaxed, comfortable, very personal virtual environment as if we were having coffee together in a coffee shop. Because everything is possible with a little coffee!
Bryn is wonderful in helping you get to know your needs and wants and then figuring out how to execute in order to make those things become real life.
Career Mobility and Management Coaching
Talking it through. Brainstorming. So many times you already know exactly what you need to know in order to make that next career leap. However, you seek that listening ear, experienced unbiased opinion and comprehensive strategy to move forward. Plus everyone could use a healthy dose of encouragement to stay on track, couldn’t they?
Sample topics and areas of focus include:
- Transition conversation and career exploration
- Job search and networking strategies- on and off-line
- Determining the ways your current skills and interests can be repositioned in the marketplace
- Thinking through personal blocks and fears as they relate or reflect in the career space
- Creating a strategic plan to approach your first 30-90 days of relationship building and personal development growth opportunity in your new role
- Crafting communications for difficult situations
- Asking or negotiating for what you want and need in the workplace
You're a magician! No, actually, a seasoned professional who went to Wellesley!
Digital Persona Overhaul: LinkedIn, Resume Revision and Cover Letters
Let’s tell your “story” – not just the facts regarding what you have done (although those are important, of course) but how they tie into where you want to go with your career. What your next right step is. We build the bridge to your next right position. We will use the elements of your digital persona to educate hiring teams about your ability to take on the new role- why they must meet with you- even if you are shifting functions or industries!
Examples of the work we do together:
- Write and edit a new clear and engaging version of your resume that aligns with how you want to redefine your career trajectory
- Create a LinkedIn profile that reflects your personal working style, your remarkable accomplishments and positions you for where you want to be in your career- not where you are today.
- Research the keywords and insider/behind the scene shifts to your LinkedIn profile and resume that will get it seen by the right recruiters and contacts
- Craft a cover letter than can be used as a template for each grouping of positions in which you are interested
- Build a job search strategy that will have you energized with actionable steps and assignments
- Create a connection strategy for you to utilize on and off-line to meet your goals and not be overwhelmed
- Actually load your LinkedIn profile into the system for you
She asks very relevant questions, very difficult questions and pushes you to do the same.
Mock Interviewing and Interview Preparation
This is an area where all job seekers could use a little polishing. Our focus will be three-fold: Live interviews, phone interviews and video interviews
Common areas of focus include:
- Identifying top questions asked of candidates- specifically for your role, function and industry
- Crafting answers for each of those identified questions. Answers that support your individual story
- Zeroing in on the most critical information to be conveyed
- Creating a strategy for group interviews and multiple interviews
- Addressing common pitfalls to the live, phone and video interviews
- Fine-tuning your answers. Practice. Practice. Practice.
- Identifying distracting body language or mannerisms
I'm super excited about this. It's interesting. I've never done anything like this before for myself in terms of career. I'm really curious to see the woman who evolves from this work. I suspect I will be pleasantly surprised by who I see.
There are no cookie-cutter formulas. There is no “one size fits all”. Although many times, the flexibility and personalization within each of the services listed above directly address client needs, sometimes clients need something customized. A combination of the services offered. It’s like a good cup of coffee. Everyone takes it his or her own special way. Three sugars, non-fat milk, extra caramel or a dash of cinnamon.
- Maybe it’s a combination of two months of career coaching plus a LinkedIn profile creation
- Maybe it’s a combination of a resume overhaul and interview preparation
- Maybe it’s a combination of career exploration discussion in addition to creating language to support your new personal brand. Language to be used on-line on your resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile plus in your networking conversation.
- Many times, it’s a desire to focus on all of it --from career exploration to networking strategy to the digital persona creation to the execution through interviewing.
How we work together:
- Coaching calls and digital personal collaboration calls are all done via the telephone. The sessions are typically one-hour or less and are recorded. Recording the sessions allows you to be completely present in the conversion, with less distraction, no responsibility to take notes and when a brilliant idea comes flowing from you (as it often does) you will have the recording to listen to again.
- Calls are also broken into smaller segments when clients need a “check in”.
- Time is put aside most weeks for some early mornings and some evening sessions in addition to traditional US work hours to accommodate our clients in time zones all over the world. To allow you to ideally be relaxed and thinking only of yourself- this is time you have set aside for your career development. Not in a car, a conference room or the basement hiding from colleagues or family members.
- Assignments are given to keep things moving forward.
- The pace of our work together is collaborative. It is driven by your career timeline, our schedules and the time you need to complete assignments and provide feedback. There is time built into our work together for tactical matters such as revising copy, in addition to more of the reflective and internal decisions to be considered. This is a process that should not be rushed.